This is a place to be to be, this is a place to be

This is a place to be to be, this is a place to be

Skopelos and Virgin

-by Skorda

Swallow that campari moon

when first you see it
across the water,
rising round and new above the mountain.
Open your mouth and swallow
while youth holds its roundness near,
and you are running fearless in the dark.
Hold it inside, it is still warm
and you will need its light,
there, inside you.

Down the road of time, somewhere
after you’ve aged, traveled,
Explored, discovered.
And the dust around your doorway
has been pounded hard and smooth under your feet.
When you find yourself growing weary and bored,
when your eyes see only ruins,
and your heart is empty.
You may believe, in your exhaustion,
that this is truth, at last.
That the mystery has unraveled,
leaving no wilderness to explore or tame.
All secrets have been shared,
the frontier has dissolved.
Know then, with these thoughts,
you have been swallowed.

The warm belly of the beast
comforts with confining darkness
and lulls with rhythmic sounds
Murmuring to you,
Curl up and sleep,
just go to sleep.

Shake your head,
stretch your legs,
do not sleep now.

Remember what you know.
You swallowed the moon,
you hold it inside you.
Not as a magpie hoarding shiny things,
or wearing the moon for beauty
or bartering the moon for wealth.
You swallowed the moon for this moment.
When you will walk to the water’s edge,
open your mouth, release the moon
and let its light build you a pathway
across the wine dark sea.
©Skorda 2008

note

I do love having these postings on one scrollable page, but alas, there are now too many. I am dividing this blog into pages of 50 posts. Please click on "older posts" (just above Erase Fetish) to see what is no longer on this page. And please sign my guestbook, to your left, just under "Fata Morgana". Thanks!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Cats

Reading the Bukowski poem got me thinking about all the cats and kittens I have known and loved. When I was a kid I always had an orange tabby cat named Pierre. Pierre the original, and after he met his unfortunate and bitterly mourned demise, Pierre II. My sister, five years older than I, was given a wire haired terrier named Cindy while I was still really young. I know she felt very privileged by that, as if a cat were a kind of booby prize pet. I never saw it that way.

Almost all of my childhood memories take place outdoors, I can barely remember doing anything of consequence inside the house. And when we were in the backyard, my sister would spend some time playing with her dog. Every once in awhile she would let me play with Cindy, and I admit it was fun to throw a ball and have the dog bring it back, or to dress up the dog in funny clothes. But most of the time the dog just sat there, or barked, or slept or chewed on one toy or another.

My cat, on the other hand, was always going off to do something interesting. We had a big garden and he would prowl through the cornstalks proudly, a princely predator surveying his domain. Occasionally he would bring a mouse, mole or (sadly) a rabbit or bird and leave it by the back door as if offering to share the bounty of his prowess. Both Pierres were manly cats, but still they loved to cuddle, and if you showed affection they would show it right back, purring with delight and making little mushing motions with their paws. I thought the Pierres were so very cool, I loved them each of them for their catly selves.

But, truth be told, it is my last cat, the six-toed Elmo, that was most like Bukowski’s. Elmo, a stray, probably dumped into the woods next to what used to be my house, yowled at my door for several days before I broke down and took him in. He was in such bad shape-one ear half gone, one eye destroyed, a huge oozing growth on his side- he needed several months of medical treatment before he was well enough to be neutered. But that brave cat wasn’t afraid of anything- fox, big dog, the road. He lived a long, adventure filled life. I think he knew how fortunate he was to have a loving home, but he could not resist the allure of the big wide world. He would disappear for days-sometimes weeks- but then return as if he had just stepped out to sun himself on the patio and -hey! where's dinner? When I moved, and my father moved into what had been my house, I did not have the heart to bring Elmo into town. He was a rover, and would either whither in confinement or meet an early death on the streets of the town. So he stayed on the land he had made his own. My Dad, a longtime dog man, fell in love with that scrappy tabby. As he grew older, Elmo learned to sleep on a human bed. I'm sure it was not a difficult skill to acquire. When he was old-very, very old- he disappeared one last time. I found out from the animal control officers that he had been found with a shattered jaw and had been euthanized. I am glad that he did not continue to suffer. But I was so sorry that he was gone.

I am rambling on far too long here. And so, I will close my feline revery with little ditty about an imagined kitty.

doggerel for kitten

Satisfied, the bowl licked clean
Warm sunbeam sprawl now, tiny sphinx.
Soft fur blissful, stretching, dozing
off to dream brave lion dreams:
the tiny tail tip of the quick gray fieldmouse
that scurried through the grass
away from you.
The many legged bug
you batted and played with,
but it died before the game was through.
Happy dreams of bravely stalking,
boldly hunting bird and mole
King of the backyard deep grass jungle,
spiderweb and groundhog hole.
Set to pounce at any movement,
whether it be mouse or snake.
Dream great adventures, little kitten,
You will live them when you wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ERASE FETISH

ERASE FETISH